Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Power of Song

Here in Pleasanton, our schools offer about 45 minutes of music class each week. And kids learn to play instruments, practice songs, and even have performances. But in Kenya, music class is every day. Students seem to have music in their hearts each and every day, ready to share a song at a moment's notice. When visiting another country, and stepping foot into the classrooms at Oloongila Primary School, I immediately learned the power of song.

Very quickly it became clear in the Kenyan schools: Song serves as a bridge between two languages, two cultures.
Song as a Welcome

Only ten minutes after my arrival at Olongila Primary School, the girls from Class 7 and Class 8 assembled. They lined up nervously to share their voices with me, to welcome me as a guest at their school. The dust kicked around as their bodies moved side-to-side, up and down. The backdrop for this welcome ceremony was a few sparse trees and a field of wheat. My initial thoughts were racing: Look at their uniforms, torn and tattered. Look at their hair, so different than mine. Look at their shoes, so work out. But, oh! Look at their smiles, so bright and inviting.  

Sharing a traditional Maasai song was a universal way to say, "hello, visitor from America, welcome to our culture." After only a few minutes of hearing their voices, I knew that the children of this village had warm hearts. Their song did more than just welcome me, it gave me a little insight into who they were as young East-Africans, as students, and as a future generation of Maasai to carry on the traditional songs.


Song as Praise 


Throughout our educational exchange, we had opportunities to observe teaching practices in the classroom. In what ways are classroom management and student motivation the same in both America and Kenya? And in what ways are they different? I was quickly impressed with one of the teachers, Evans Orango, for his energy and enthusiasm. He would constantly pause, invite students to join him in a quick celebration, and then continue teaching. I can hear his voice now ... "A very good?" And the young students response, "CLASS!" Thr praise was for the pupils, the class as a whole, and even for the teachers themselves. Typically when we think of call and response teaching methods, we are not using this practice for motivation! This was a welcome change, and I'm thankful that Evans taught me how powerful song can be as a means of praising learners! 


Song as Communication Tool

When students are just learning English in 1st grade, what better way to communicate but through song? These young learners jumped up and immediately started to sing and dance as I walked into the room. I realize that English was their third language, and I don't speak any Swahili or Maa (their native language). But, somehow we were able to communicate just fine by meeting in the middle with song and dance. Well, I was able to dance with them, at least.

Song as Community Builder

The host school that we camped at would greet us each morning with an assembly. Hundreds of students in grades 1-8 would assemble at a flag salute.  Through song they would unite as a community of students, as a community of Maasai children. Brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends, the children would use song as a way of standing united. They graced us with their voices. Coming together in such an organized manner really blew me away. I would cry each morning. What a unique and beautiful way to start the day. The students' voices would meet in harmony, giving thanks to Jesus and singing the Kenya National Anthem. "I love you Jesus, you are my savior," the young community would offer up.

If our students here would gather more often and sing together, I believe we might have an equally peaceful, united community of learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment